Breastfeeding

My favourite breastfeeding and feminist quotes

Breastfeeding Quotes


A baby nursing at a mother's breast
is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature.
- David Suzuki

It is only in the act of nursing that a woman realizes her motherhood
in visible and tangible fashion.
- Honore de Balzac

It was her life which the baby drank in from her bosom.
- William Makepeace

After the weariness of labor and birth is the emotional gratification,
the feeling of strength, the composure, and the sense of fulfillment
that comes with the handling and suckling of the baby.
- Ashley Montague

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act,
but it is also an art that is learned day by day.
It is almost always simply a matter of practical knowledge
and not a question of good luck.
- La Leche League

Mother's milk, time-tested for millions of years,
is the best nutrient for babies... it is nature's perfect food.
- Robert S. Mendelsohn

A pair of substantial mammary glands have the advantage over
the two hemispheres of the most learned professor's brain
in the art of compounding a nutritive fluid for infants.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

When we trust the makers of baby formula
more than we do our own ability to nourish our babies,
we lose a chance to claim an aspect of our power as women.
It is an act of female power,
and I think of it as feminism in its purest form.
- Christine Northrup

In modern consumer society, the attack on
mother-child eroticism took its total form;
breastfeeding was proscribed and the breasts reserved
for the husband's fetishistic delectation.
At the same time, babies were segregated,
put into cold beds alone and not picked up if they cried.
- Germaine Greer

It is a curious commentary on our society that we tolerate
all degrees of explicitness in our literature and mass media
as regards sex and violence,
but the normal act of breastfeeding is taboo.
- American Academy of Pediatrics

Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman's breasts;
it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy.
- Robert A. Heinlein

O, thou beautiful damsel, may the four oceans
Of the earth contribute the secretion of milk
In thy breasts for the purpose for improving
The bodily strength of the child
O, thou with the beautiful face, may the child
Reared on your milk, attain a long life, like
The gods made immortal with drinks of nectar
- Sushruta, translated

The child, offered the mother's breast,
Will not in the beginning grab it;
But soon it clings to it with zest.
And thus at wisdom's copious breasts
You'll drink each day with greater zest.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Who fed me from her gentle breast
And hushed me in her arms to rest,
And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
My Mother.
- Anne Taylor



Feminist Quotes


The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power.
You just take it. - Roseanne Barr

There are very few jobs that actually require a penis or vagina.
All other jobs should be open to everybody.
- Florynce Kennedy

The world has never yet seen a truly great and virtuous nation,
because in the degradation of woman the very fountains of life
are poisoned at their source.
- Lucretia Mott

There never will be complete equality until women themselves
help to make laws and elect lawmakers.
- Susan B. Anthony

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

I ask no favors for my sex.... All I ask of our brethren
is that they will take their feet from off our necks.
- Sarah Moore Grimké

Feminism directly confronts the idea that one person or set of people
has the right to impose definitions of reality on others.
- Liz Stanley and Sue Wise

Remember no one can make you feel inferior
without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are all female impersonators to some degree.
- Susan Brownmiller

I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want.
If that makes me a bitch, okay.
- Madonna Ciccone

In my heart, I think a woman has two choices:
either she's a feminist or a masochist.
- Gloria Steinem


Please feel free to add any other breastfeeding and feminist quotes :)

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. As an avid reader I have read countless authors though I want you to know Cherie "Natural Mama NZ" you are my new favorite author your writing style is incredible your every word is poetry and I can say without a doubt I am your No1 Fan!! Thank you for the guidance and knowledge this blog is literally The Instruction Book for Real Women!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetheart!
    Your opinion is incredibly important to me, and I'm honored to read such kind words - it's a very high standard to try to live up to!
    Love you xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thanks for sharing. I just realized you were not on my blogroll!!! What an oversight, it has been amended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mama! Much appreciated :) I don't have a blogroll yet, but when I do you'll be on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was on the toilet this morning, eating my weetbix and.........What? You think there's something wrong with eating in the bathroom? Did that gross you out? Then why do people suggest breastfeeding mothers feed their babies in the bathroom? I'm proudly a HUGE advocate for breastfeeding. Yay for B(.)(.)BIES :)

    I quite like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete